A Project Manager at Spark requires a strong skill set in project management and experience managing complex projects involving many different stakeholders and team members. Although the Project Manager is not a researcher, the role may include data collection and interpretation processes. For this reason, the Project Manager needs to be comfortable learning about and supporting projects with a research focus.
The Project Manager will work closely with Spark team members, clients, community partners, and research participants. This position will include opportunities to facilitate stakeholder and data sharing meetings. We seek applicants who are independent, respectful of others, passionate about their work, accountable, and willing and able to take informed risks and seek innovative solutions.
Key Job Responsibilities
Mid-level project managers are expected to learn and apply tools associated with systems-level and problem-solving in applied and evolving settings. This will include emergent learning tools such as Strategic Road Maps and Before and After Action Reviews. (For more information about some of the tools Spark regularly employs, visit http://sparkpolicy.com/tools/.) In addition, the candidate must be proficient in at least one of the following:
- Policy analysis
- Meeting or focus group facilitation
- Stakeholder interviews and other research tasks under a researcher’s guidance.
A project manager can expect to simultaneously coordinate multiple short and long-term projects, including project tracking, development of timelines, production of meeting materials, support to the project lead, and other coordination duties. A mid-level project manager can also expect to provide strategic support to project leads, conduct budget and staff projections, and lead their own projects. Additional duties for this project manager position are as follows:
- Manage internal project teams with multiple staff and deadlines;
- Participate in report writing;
- Maintain regular communications with clients and stakeholders;
- Coordinate stakeholder engagement;
- Work effectively in a team environment, accepting and providing feedback, and balancing multiple responsibilities and roles;
- Participate fully in the Spark team environment, including ongoing strategic planning, wellness programs, and learning opportunities.
Specific Competencies Include
- Ability to organize and direct large-scale project activities, including establishing work plans and timelines; working closely with clients and external partners; handling multiple and shifting priorities; identifying and solving problems as they arise.
- Ability to develop budgets and to plan, assign, and supervise the work of team members.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience effectively communicating complex information to a wide range of individuals.
- Skill in analytical thinking,
- Interpersonal and leadership skills and a strong ability to be a collaborative team member.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability toward changing assignments and changing project needs, as well as anticipating project needs and proactively addressing them.
- Proficient in using a personal computer and various software applications, including Microsoft Office and Google products.
- Experience working with stakeholders and multi-disciplinary colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Demonstration of grit – the ability to persevere toward an intended result despite the many obstacles that may stand in the way.
- Although not a requirement, the ideal candidate will also be proficient enough in Spanish to engage Spanish-speaking stakeholders.
- Over three years of Project Management experience. Experience must include managing multiple projects with competing deadlines and responsibilities.
- Two+ years of facilitation experience, report writing, policy analysis, or exposure to focus groups, surveys, or other community engagement practices.
- A relevant undergraduate degree is required. A graduate degree is not preferred but not necessary with demonstrated years of experience in the field.
Spark offers a competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience and a full benefits package including health, dental, life, and disability insurance; retirement plan; paid time off and holidays; wellness programs; and a flexible work schedule. At Spark, we prioritize work-life balance and seek team members who do the same.
Our EEO Statement
Spark is committed to an office culture of inclusivity. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination based on race, creed, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or marital status.
Use the sidebar on the right to submit your application and cover letter.